Applicants may apply online or by phone to request an e-card which gives access to library electronic resources. E-cards do not carry physical material check out privileges and do not require picture ID. E-cards may be upgraded to regular cards with the proper identification. To request an E-card, please call the library at 970-884-2222 ext. 1 or fill out our online form.
How to Apply
To apply for a library card, applicants aged 14or older must present valid, current photo identification and proof of address. Acceptable forms of identification are:
- Driver’s license
- State ID card
- Foreign driver’s license
- Alien registration card
- Employee identification card or badge (Legal name and photo must be listed on ID)
- Military Identification
- School identification card
- Voter’s registration card
- Tribal ID card
- Consular Card
Additional examples of acceptable documents or online evidence to verify an address are:
- Parent’s library card for juvenile registration
- Utility bill
- Mail with a recent postmark (within 30 days)
- Vehicle registration or insurance card
- Personal checks imprinted with address
- Rent receipts or leases with address
- Paycheck or pay stub
- Voter registration card
- Hunting/Fishing licenses
Other forms of identification and proof of address may also be acceptable and are at the discretion of library staff. The approval of a parent or guardian on the library card record is required for youth under 14 and under. Library card records for youth age under 14 must be approved by a parent or guardian.
Library cards must be renewed every year.
- Borrowers must present a valid library card when checking out materials. When using self-checkout machines, the patron only needs to know their library card number. If the patron does not have the library card but still wishes to check out materials, valid photo identification will be accepted. Borrowers are responsible for paying any fines or other charges imposed, when relevant. Parents or guardians are financially responsible for all materials borrowed on the cards of youth aged 17 and under. Borrowers are responsible for reporting any changes in the account information in a timely fashion.
- This library is in compliance with federal and state laws that affect library operations, including the Colorado Confidentiality Law, which states, in part:
- 24-90-119. Privacy of user records. “…a publicly-supported library shall not disclose any record or other information that identifies a person as having requested or obtained specific materials or service or as otherwise having used the library.”
- It is the borrower’s responsibility and choice as to who has access to the library card for the account. A patron may allow a family member or friend to use his or her library card to check out materials, pick up materials on hold, and pay fines that are outstanding on that card. The name of the additional borrower has full access to the library card, and their full name will be noted on the borrower’s account. When a patron gives another individual their library card to use, that individual has full access to that account. However, the Library reserves the right to ask a borrower for photo identification to verify identity before checking out materials.
Lost or Stolen Library Cards
If the borrower’s card is lost or stolen, it is the borrower’s responsibility to report the loss or theft to Pine River Public Library immediately. A police report is required when a patron claims materials were checked out and stolen. A new library card will be issued for lost, damaged or stolen cards; the cost for a replacement card is $1.00. (Defective cards will be replaced at no cost.) All charges or loans attached to the lost card will be transferred to the new card. Special circumstances may require help from the Director or supervisor in charge.
A total of fifteen circulating items may be on a borrower’s record at any given time. Loan periods depend upon the type of material being loaned; borrowers should note the due dates on the receipt provided at checkout (see “Loan Periods” below). The Library upholds the circulation policy and loan periods for items owned by other libraries although they may differ from the loan periods of Pine River Public Library. Most PRL materials are renewable, provided there are no reservation requests pending and the patron has not accumulated more than $10.00 in fines and/or fees on the account.
Fines and Fees
Once library materials are overdue, the cardholder will be charged overdue fines according to the Fines & Fees Schedule (below), approved by the Pine River Public Library’s Board of Trustees. The Library expects payment for lost or damaged materials and overdue fines and fees associated with materials owned by other libraries through Interlibrary Loan. Once an item is 60 days past due, the library relinquishes the patron’s account to a collection agency to collect the library’s materials or the full payment of the overdue items for replacement or reconsideration for the collection. There is an additional $10.00 fee automatically charged to the patron’s library account in this instance to offset the library’s fees for this service. The collection agency works for four months to retrieve the item(s) and then the patron’s credit history is tarnished.
Types of Library Cards
- Individuals 18 years of age or older.
- Must be living or working in Colorado
- Can borrow up to 15 items physical items and up to 5 digital items.
- Individuals 17 years of age or younger.
- Must currently be living in Colorado OR currently enrolled as a student of a school or college in Colorado.
- Books, audiobooks, and music: 21 days
- New books, audiobooks: 14 days
- DVDs: 7 days
- MP3 players: 21 days
- DVD players: 14 days
- Flash drives: 21 days
- Laptops: 14 days
- Wifi hotspots: 14 days
- GPS units: 21 days
Fine and Fee Schedule
- Books, audiobooks and music: replacement fee – retail cost
- New books, audiobooks and music: replacement fee – retail cost
- DVDs: replacement fee- retail cost
- All electronics: $1 per day fine. Replacement fee: retail cost
*Patrons cannot purchase replacement items for lost item