- This event has passed.
Summer Learning: Kids Ocean Explorers
June 30 @ 10:30 am – 11:30 am
Join us twice a week for all sorts of ocean-themed activities and challenges! Kids ages 8+ can attend without a parent, and kids 7 and under can attend with a parent or caregiver. These programs will be held in the Library Park, weather permitting. Registration Required.
Week 1: Fiiiiish
- Tuesday, June 7: Light It Up: Learn about circuits and make your own angler fish!
- Thursday, June 9: Puzzles & Pufferfish: Join us for a fun day of fish puzzles using tangrams, which help kids develop critical thinking skills and learn their shapes. We will also be painting pufferfish using forks!
Week 2: Octonerds
- Tuesday, June 14: Where is Waldo?: Learn about camouflage and try to make your clay octopus blend into different sea environments.
- Thursday, June 16: Suck It Up!: Octopus tentacles are covered in suction cups. We are going to learn about suction strength in this inquiry driven STEAM day.
Week 3: Ocean Adventures
- Tuesday, June 21: Whirly Swirly: Learn about ocean currents and create abstract ocean coasters to take home.
- Thursday, June 23: Ocean Rock Gardens: Join us for a morning of painting ocean critters onto our rocks in the park.
Week 4: Ecosystems
- Tuesday, June 28: Coral Reefs: Make your own coral reef with air dry clay, paints, and odds and ends.
- Thursday, June 30: Delicious Oceans: This two-in-one activity lets you create an ocean ecosystem and a delicious dessert. (while supplies last)
Week 1: Ice Ice Baby
- Tuesday, July 5: Ice Rescue: Rescue sea creatures stuck in the ice and learn about melting ice. (while supplies last)
- Thursday, July 7: Minecraft Mania: Make your own Minecraft sea creatures! We will build them from blocks and paint them! (while supplies last)
Week 2: Sea Treats
- Tuesday, July 12: Friend or Foe: We will be foraging jelly”fish” in this tasty pudding activity where we pretend to be turtles. Take home a jellyfish sensory craft! (while supplies last)
- Thursday, July 14: Oceans of Cupcakes: Bring the whole family to decorate cupcakes like an ocean scene. (while supplies last)
Week 3: Oil and Salt
- Tuesday, July 19: Scrub-a-dub-dub: Learn how people clean up after oil spills during this hands-on day.
- Thursday, July 21: Sea Salt Paintings: We’re mixing it up with sea salt and water color paintings of ocean animals!
- Tuesday, July 26: Ya Dig It?: Get ready to get messy during this excavation day. We will be digging up trilobites, megalodon teeth, and much more!
- Thursday, July 28: Buoyancy & Bookmarks: Get artsy making shark-themed bookmarks. Then stick around for a lively game of sharks and minnows!