Pine River Library District Mill Levy Increase
Ballot Issue 6A
During the August 15 board meeting, the Pine River Library Board of Trustees passed a resolution to add an initiative to the 2018 election ballot.
The resolution asks that the Pine River Public Library District (PRL) taxes be increased $454,185 annually (estimated revenues in the year 2019). This equates to an increase of $3.60 per month for the homeowner of a $300,000 home. This amount would be the result of increasing the mill levy from 2.5 to 4.5 mills, which is necessary for maintaining library services including but not limited to:
- Updating books, technology and research materials;
- Working with parents and caregivers to ensure each child has a strong start and is kindergarten ready;
- Providing literacy based programming;
- Providing a vibrant and educationally-based after-school program for community youth;
- Providing a link to the outside world for the home bound while building community connections;
- Increasing services to the aging population;
- Ensuring adequate staff to address patron needs and requests; and,
- Providing lifelong educational opportunities for students and adults.
According to the Fair Campaign Practices Act, employees of PRL cannot campaign for or against any issue on the ballot. However, they can give out factual information, as well as inform library patrons about the election in general including date of election, voter registration and when ballots will arrive in the mail.
Library employees can discuss the facts below while working at the Library or representing the Library off-site during work hours. If you have any additional questions, please contact the proponents or opponents of the ballot initiative.
- It has been 19 years since the Library District has received new funding.
- To meet the needs of the library and the community, the Library is asking for a 2 mill levy increase which will be approximately $3.60 per month (or $43.20 per year) for the homeowner of a $300,000 home.
- The Mill Levy increase will allow the Library District to continue to:
- Provide updated books, technology and research materials;
- Partner with parents and caregivers to ensure each child has a strong start and is kindergarten ready;
- Offer literacy based programming through summer reading and story time;
- Provide a link to the outside world for home bound individuals, and build community connections through local events;
- Increase services for our aging population;
- Ensure an adequate number of librarians so that there is always a real person to answer the phone or assist library patrons;
- Provide lifelong educational opportunities for students and adults.
- Election Day is November 6, 2018. This is an all-mail ballot election and ballots will start arriving in mail boxes in mid-October.
IN THE NEWS
August 16, 2018: Pine River Library asking for a tax increase this November
August 31, 2018: Pine River Library Board of Trustees Announces 2018 Ballot Initiative (PDF Download)
CLICK HERE TO CALCULATE YOUR PROPERTY TAXESWITH A MILL LEVY INCREASE.
Fact Sheet (PDF Download)
Financial Details (PDF Download)